St Saviour’s church building is a Grade II listed Georgian church, built and consecrated in 1832 to serve the
communities of Larkhall and Grosvenor. The Eastern aspect was extended in 1882 creating the chancel. In the 1970-80s a hall (The Fellowship Centre) was created internally at the back of the church. In 2001 the church & kitchen were reordered, the pews replaced with chairs, underfloor heating and it was carpeted. The main western entrance was also renewed with a new staircase and entrance way. These changes allowed flexibility in the use of the church building and it has been used since for many church and community events, including concerts, charity fundraisers, meals, messy church and children’s holiday clubs.
In January 2016 a second phase of internal renovation was started on the church, renewing the fellowship centre and creating four new rooms for the use of children, young people’s groups, and members of the community. This will allow the church to be even more available and flexible in the space that it offers to the congregation and the community of Larkhall.
“St Saviour’s church, Walcot, the foundation stone of which was laid on 2nd April, 1829, is erected in the eastern extremity of the parish. In point of architectural beauty, both externally and internally, this church is generally considered to be unrivalled by any ecclesiastical structure of modern date in this part of the country. The tower forms a very beautiful object to the surrounding neighbourhood.”
From a historical newspaper article describing St Saviour’s church soon after its erection.